The 90th Anniversary of the Residence 934 in review
On November 18th, the Consulate General of France celebrated the 90th Anniversary of its residence at 934 Fifth Avenue. The townhouse was originally owned by Mr. Charles E. Mitchell, before housing France’s consular services in New York.
Built in 1926 by architects Alexander Walker and Leon Gillette for the New York financier Charles E. Mitchell, this beautiful townhouse has always been perceived as a model of elegance. Mr. Mitchell, the millionaire President of National City Bank, turned it into “a show place of this fashionable neighborhood”, as the New York Times wrote in 1942.
French institutions in New York had been headquartered in the prestigious Rockefeller Center since 1933, but had outgrown that space. On March 25, 1942, the French government purchased a new building twenty-five blocks to the North, facing Central Park, at 934 Fifth Avenue.
A familiar address to all French nationals living in New York, 934 Fifth Avenue has been the home of the French Consulate for over 60 years.
For a few hours on Friday, the Salon Rose turned into an elegant Ball Room, thanks to Chloé Perrier and her band, who interpreted various classics from the 1920’s.
This very special evening provided an opportunity to thank our French and American partners who work tirelessly to promote France and the French-American friendship.
The Consulate General of France would also like to thank Annick Goutal, whose representatives were in attendance, to present the Parisian brand’s latest fragrance, Tenue de soirée.
For a taste of this beautiful evening, check out our photos and video below.