Loss or theft of documents

Precautions should be taken when traveling for the protection of travel documents (passports, identity cards, etc.). It is advisable to make photocopies of the various documents in case they are needed.

In the event of loss or theft of documents, it is imperative to file a report at the closest police station and ask for a copy so you may obtain replacement documents at the Consulate.

The Consulate may issue a ’laissez-passer’ allowing you to return to France or country of origin (valid only for certain countries) or an emergency passport, valid for 1 year. In both cases you must come to the Consulate with the following documents:

- Proof of identity and French nationality
- 2 passport-sized photos, which must be recent, centered and full-faced, without head covering, on a white background.
- Airline tickets or electronic ticket
- Police report on the loss or theft of documents

For a ‘laissez-passer,’ a French witness in possession of a passport or national ID card may be acceptable as proof of French nationality.

The processing time for an emergency passport is several days.

Contact "Lost and Found": Consulate 212 606-3600, Police headquarters 212 570-4821, Taxi 212 NYC-TAXI (692-8294).


Last modified on 24/12/2012

top of the page