Recipe of the month : Velvety White Asparagus Soup [fr]
This month, the Consulate’s Chef teaches us how to cook the Velvety White Asparagus Soup to pay tribute to the Chef Joël Robuchon
Hello everyone !!
I am very happy to see you again this October ! Autumn is settling in which is why I concocted a recipe that is both suited to the heat of the summer and the freshness of Autumn.
I prepared a cream soup from a bundle of white asparagus – a vegetable which is often overlooked.
I decided to share this recipe with you as a way of honoring one of the greatest Michelin star chefs there ever was, Joël Robuchon, who sadly left us this summer.
A member of the “Compagnons du Devoir” (a French organization of craftsmen and artisans dating from the Middle Ages), “Ouvrier de France” (the winner of a craftsmen competition held every four years in France), named chef of the century… I inspired myself from one of his recipes to commemorate the talent and the professionalism of this man who had a great heart. He knew how to remain incredibly humble and down to earth. Thank you Chef!
You can serve this delicious soup with a few slices of grilled bacon, grated or sautéed foie-gras or even better, some strips of truffle.
You can’t say no to a good soup!
“Bon Appétit” of course!
For 4 People:
- 1 500 gram bundle of Asparagus
- 500 ml of chicken stock
- 15 cl of liquid cream
- 30 cl of milk
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 potato
- 1 sugar cube
- salt and pepper
- Peel the asparagus. Cut them into 2-3 cm lengths.
- Peel the potato and cut it in half.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and brown the onion for a few minutes.
- Add the asparagus, the potato and the sugar and then the chicken stock. Cover and let cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Lastly, add the milk and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Blend with a handheld blender and pass through a medium sieve to eliminate any fibers that were not incorporated. Put the mixture back on the stove and allow to soup for about 10 minutes uncovered.
- In a salad bowl, mix the egg and the cream. Slowly pour the soup into the cream and egg mixture, stirring constantly.
- Put back into the pot, and let simmer over low heat a few minutes more. Use the blender again to make sure the mixture is homogeneous.
- For the topping you can use some of the tips from your white asparagus.
- Correct the seasoning.
Serve very hot.
With this sentence from Mr. Joel Robuchon (1945-2018) I wish you a wonderful meal and will see you again very soon.
“A person who cooks cannot be someone who does not like people.”