The « potée champenoise » Stew [fr]
Our chef Sebastien Baud shares once again one of his favourite recipe. This month, we continue our trip in the Champagne region with the "Potée Champenoise" stew Bon appétit !
We continue our tour of the Champagne-Ardenne region with the « potée champenoise » this month. It is a complete, simple, cheap stew, ideal for family reunions or large gatherings.
The “grape pickers” stew was traditionally prepared on grape harvesting day.
This dish is prepared with lean, low-sodium bacon, low-sodium pork, sausage, and thick slices of smoked ham. Cabbage, carrots, turnips and firm-flesh potatoes are added into the mix – all of this in generous amounts.
In the heart of winter, what could be more enjoyable than a nice, big, highly flavorful pot of meat and vegetables?
• 600g white beans, soaked for 12 hours
• 400 g reduced-sodium bacon
• 1 reduced-sodium small ham
• 1 Morteau sausage
• 3 carrots
• 3 turnips
• 3 potatoes
• 1 onion
• 2 cloves
• 1 bouquet garni
• salt, pepper
• Rinse the ham and bacon under cold water. Place them in a large cocotte and cover abundantly with cold water. Bring to a boil and drain. Lower the heat and cook for 2 hours, covered.
• Meanwhile, peel the potatoes, the carrots, the turnips, and the onion. Prick the onion with the cloves.
• Add all vegetables to the cocotte with the Morteau sausage, the bouquet garni, and season with pepper. Cook another 30 minutes.
• Place the white beans in a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. As soon as the water starts boiling, drain the beans and put them back in the pan. Add boiling water, salt, pepper, and cook for 40 minutes.
• Serve the meats with vegetables, beans and some bouillon.
• Do not forget the pickles
With these words by Jean d’Ormesson, a French man of letters and member of the Académie Française, I wish you all a « bon appétit », and look forward to being with you very soon!
«We never know anything about the world but what we have tasted, touched, and smelled»
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org